.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

FRIENDSHIP... is it something like WARSHIP or BATTLESHIP?

-by wahdegreat-

A few days back, I sent out an sms to a few people. The sms was simple, I asked them a question, “Pop Quiz: What is your understanding of the word FRIENDSHIP? Give your answer in the length of one sms”.

For those of you who replied me, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your feedback and your support. For those of you who don’t even have the courtesy to reply me, I have placed a HEX on you and in time you will know what it is and it won’t be pleasant…

The objective of this little survey was simple, WHAT THE FUCK?! FOR THE FUN OF IT ONLY MAAA…

chau_fah_hai: hao kerr ai oh…

What started out as a weekend-have-fun-with-sms-prank actually became a hot topic of discussion amongst those that received my sms. So I decided to write an article on it as a gesture of appreciations for those who participated (and for those who did not, beware of the HEX upon you).

I received a lot of statements regarding FRIENDSHIP, and none of it is identical, similar maybe but still all statements are different. I was particularly interested in the statement made by Masterkenzo and also by another friend of mine. AND I am exceptionally amused by chau_fah_hai’s reply…

chau_fah_hai: FUCK! Is this another sms n win contest? You can’t climb the corporate ladder this way, fren.

…. Sigh…. I’ll just fucking leave it at that.

And as for Masterbear, beware of the HEX…. I put the BIGGEST HEX on you compared to the rest.

Anyway, these are the two statements: -

MASTERKENZO: Friendship is when you enjoy his or hers existence, and at the same time ACCEPTING them as they are, never in our mind trying to impose our value or belief on them.

FRIEND A: Friendship is about togetherness and most importantly about sharing and believing in the same values.

Okay, what is interesting here is that both statements are similar and contradictory at the same time. I leave it to your own understanding to decipher the rest. But when I saw these two statements, I cannot help but think; one endorses individual differences and the other about common values. So who is correct?

The answer is that both are true.

Because I limit the answer to only one sms, it would be virtually impossible for anyone to put in a foolproof statement. GYA HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

When I looked up the Oxford dict, it says “friendship – friendly relationship or feeling”. What the fuck is that?! Ok-kayy, so then I looked up the word FRIEND, it says “Person, not usually a relation or lover, who feels mutual affection and regard for another”. I thought like, “man, that is so fucking vague…” so I fucking threw the Oxford dict back to the gallows and started my research about FRIENDSHIP on the NEW WORLD LIBRARY….

I came across a few sites that tried to define FRIENDSHIP but I found one of the most comprehensive definitions of FRIENDSHIP in this site
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendship. You can read the lengthy article on FRIENDSHIP (…yawn…) there but I am particularly interested in the following: -

“Friendship is a relationship which involves mutual knowledge, esteem, and affection. Friends will welcome each other's company and exhibit loyalty towards each other, often to the point of altruism. Value that is found in friendships is often the result of a friend demonstrating on a consistent basis:

The tendency to desire what is best for each other.
Sympathy and empathy.
Honesty, perhaps in situations where it may be difficult for others to speak the truth.
Mutual understanding.”

Oh well, from all the statements that I received from my sms survey, I concluded that there is no THE ONE answer or definition about FRIENDSHIP. Our understanding and definition of FRIENDSHIP are solely based on our convenience, preference and also experience. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY on our grasp of the English language. We know it like the back of our hands but it is difficult to conceptualize and qualify it into hard words.

If I asked myself the same question, my answer would be…. Well, I really don’t know. I do not understand the word FRIENDSHIP when I think about it… I use the word often and I always carry it with me but I really have no fucking understanding what-so-ever about it. If you really want an answer from me, I’ll say that FRIENDSHIP is a relationship among friends lor… hence the word; friend + relationship = friendship.

I don’t quite remember where I read or heard about this, but I knew of a definition that goes like this:
“FRIENDSHIP is a system in which a person chooses another person to interact or counteract with and the sustenance of the system is dependent on the amount of friction that it can take”. Pretty cold huh?

2 Comments:

Blogger chau_fah_hai said...

Hey, with the recent hoo-haa over the gores dan menang thingy, you can't blame me for be extremely precautious, right ? Nabeh, sekali I come up as headlines as the next sctraching victim....wah len neh...

11:27 PM  
Blogger wahdegreat said...

u know what, i LOVE it a lot whenever u open ur mouth. When u open your mouth or typing, it really reflect how ingeniusly intelligent u r.

It's been century( quote from fat-straight-uncle-who-sell-century-egg-porridge. What the heck is that anyway ?! another historical case of genius tokking intelligent things ) I have not been there my dear womancubus lam

love u man

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home